Your Rights as a Carer
The Care Act 2014 made the biggest changes to adult social care in over 60 years and at its heart, put people first – the focus is to promote wellbeing and prevent or delay people needing social care services. With this in mind, there are new rights as a carer.
From April 2015, carers are entitled to a carer’s assessment – a statement acknowledging that carers have needs which matches the rights of the person being cared for. Carers will also be entitled to support if they meet the eligibility criteria rather than previously where the local authority had a ‘power’ to provide support to carers, but was not obligated to.
- An assessment of your needs as a carer from Luton Borough Council
- Have your views and opinions considered when professionals are deciding how to best help the person you care for
- Be involved in the Luton Carers Forums enabling your voice to be heard and get emotional support from other carers as well as practical tips
As well as these rights you may also be entitled to:
- Receive the Carer’s Allowance benefit payment
- Carers breaks to give you a rest from caring
- Help from Social Services with some of the practical aspects of caring
- Request time off and flexible working arrangements from your employer
Other information and resources
Carers UK have created a guide of carers rights that gives a full picture of the practical and financial support available to carers.
The guide includes:
- Benefits: an overview of which benefits you or the person you can for may be entitled to and information about how to get a benefits check.
- Other financial help: including help with council tax, fuel costs, pensions and health costs.
- Practical help: including community care assessment, carer’s assessment and direct payments.
- Technology: information about health and care technology that could make life easier for you and the person you care for.
- Your workplace: your rights at work, from flexible working and parental leave to protection from discrimination
- Other help: how to find other help nationally and in your local community.